Sunday, October 5, 2008

Waffle House, Kenya

After church, I usually head into town, to get my fill of emails and blog postings. Church here runs from anywhere around 90min to maybe 3hrs, depending on how much the guest preacher has on his chest. By the time I make my way out of church, my breakfast of buttered wheat bread, has began to fade leading to a hungry tummy. Thankfully a few hotels (restaurants) are open on Sundays.

Eating at most establishments is an enjoyable experience. If all tables are spoken for, just sit down at any one that has an open seat. No one cares, and a waiter will be with you shortly. When I say shortly, I mean that there will be a guy standing over you in 30 seconds. He will ask you what you want, because most people have made up their minds before they enter I guess. If you ask for some time, that translates to exactly one minute. So honestly you should think about what you want before you enter. On Sundays, I usually like to order, Yai fry chapati, which is 2 fried eggs rolled up pigs in a blanket style, by two big chapatis. Chapatis are a cousin of the pita and tortilla, being sweeter than the tortilla and lacking the pouch ability of a pita. Basically, they are tasty, that's it.

The waiter will most likely not look at you or write down your order. He will repeat the same process to about three more tables, before he returns to the kitchen. Then yelling, Waffle House style, commences, and you are convinced that your meal is being made. Sometimes it takes a few tries before you hit on something the kitchen has made, or is willing to make that day. Beaten, a few times I have asked, "Ok,.....What is ready now?" I have been amazed that my orders always come out correct. The only translation issue has been, what I viewed as the international 'Gimme the bill' motion, of air handwriting. Over here that means, "Bring me some more tea please."

Training

I have been training pretty hard, this past week. I can feel my fitness gaining, despite the daily heavy rains trying to hamper every run. I joined into a big fartlek run on Thursday. Determined to not make any bonehead watch mistakes, like last time, I just used my stopwatch plain and simple.

The workout consisted of : 1min/1minRest/2/1R/3/1R/4/2R/5/2R/6/2R/5/2R/4/2R/3/1R/2/1R/1/done probably collapse

As usual I was dropped by the 3 min portion, but surprised that some other guys were behind me! At the 6min mark I had finally caught another straggler, thankfully because I was thoroughly lost. We ran together hard, until at the final 2min repeat, he dashed off into a maize field. No doubt to answer an urgent call from nature. I finished the workout very strong, and was very pleased with the outcome. I finally hooked up with the main group, for a 35 min cool down back home.

Sadly , I have been doing some of my training alone, because I just can't pull myself to join some of the kamikaze sessions. I wish I could, but I just see only burnout and a flaming wreckage of legs. I have a ticket back to the USA, these guys are fighting for one.

Hope everyone is doing back home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Neil. This is Palmer. I just wanted to let you know that I love reading your blog.

Do you have any plans to race when you get back in the states?

Greg On the Run said...

Neil - good to read about your doing. I had no idea you had a blog until I was asked to put it on the Charleston Running Club website.

Are you scouting out new locations for TrySports while you're there?

Ruth Lentz said...

New location for Trysports? Hope Jenny didn't read that one.

How many refills of tea and crossed legs before communication kicked in. Is the sign for bring me my bill scratching your head?

Enjoy reading all your entries, it has brought home how simply life can be led, a lesson to all of us in the States.